Somehow my daughter has angered the softball gods.  Her senior season of high school ball started out normally enough.  The team went together to a tournament in Nevada.  Pre-season play began here at home.  Huh got to start in all of the games.  Then, just as regular season began, Huh developed a sore throat.  Thinking it was a case of strep throat I took her to the doctor.  It wasn’t strep.  Just like her younger sister earlier in the school year, Huh had mononucleosis.  Swell.

With mono, the spleen can become enlarged and athletes are told not to play or practice because a blow to the spleen could cause internal bleeding.  Huh was told she was out for four weeks.  Four weeks!  That is a big chunk of the regular season. 

Huh took it all in stride.  She was allowed to stretch out and run with the team, but they made her wear a catcher’s vest the entire time she was there.  She did her best to be allowed to do other things.  When the coach was assigning girls to go out and shag balls for those who were hitting, Huh, with catcher’s vest in place, purposely kept moving into the coach’s line of vision as the coach pointed to the girls she wanted to catch balls.  Finally, the coach looked right at Huh and said, “Not you!”  The team laughed at her efforts.

The main reason the coaches were extra careful with Huh is because she has developed the reputation for being the most injured player on the team.  Huh hasn’t made it through one season without receiving at least two injuries.  And many of the injuries have been caused by freak accidents.  Huh even pointed out to the coach that somehow the ball always seems to find her.  The coach witnessed it first-hand once as Huh was warming up with the rest of the team and a stray ball from another team flew through everybody else and hit her in the ankle.  As she was hopping around in pain the coach pointed at her and said, “You, into the dugout!”  And then she muttered, “Unbelievable.”

As soon as the four weeks were up I diligently got Huh a doctor’s release and she planned on playing in the game the next day.  At the game the coach told the girls to run to the fence and back.  As they were running one of Huh’s teammates playfully pushed her.  Down she went, pulling the ligaments behind her knee.  The school trainer looked at her leg and told her to miss that game and the next two practices and to rest it over the weekend.  Once again Huh was sitting.  And once again the coach couldn’t believe Huh’s bad luck.  “Unbelievable.”

Parents and teammates started to tease Huh.  “You just need to stay in the dug out, where it’s safe.”  I just shook my head.

This past Monday Huh was asked how her leg felt and if she thought she could play.  She was honest and told her coaches that she didn’t think she had much lateral movement but that she could probably hit the ball and run the bases.  The coaches put her in as designated hitter.  Huh got up to bat and hit a beautiful single to left field.  She stole second base and then made it home on another girl’s hit. 

As Huh was getting a drink in the dug out one of her teammates hit a foul ball.  The ball flew through the opening of the covered dug out, missed all of the girls in front of Huh, and hit Huh in the side of the head.  Teammates later reported that they didn’t realize that the ball had hit anyone at first because it sounded so loud when it hit.  They thought it hit the brick wall behind Huh.  Huh put her hand to her head just as the coach yelled, “Who did that hit?”  Huh stepped out of the dug out, the coach saw her and ran to her.  She caught Huh just as she lost consciousness.

Thankfully Huh wasn’t out for too long.  She awoke to see her two coaches’ faces really close to hers and one of the coaches holding her hand.  Ice was brought for her head and a call was placed to my cell phone.  I had just finished my afternoon crossing when I got the call.  I rushed to the ball field as fast as I could.  Huh and I spent two and a half hours at the emergency room.  A CT scan was performed and, thankfully, nothing serious was shown. 

Huh does have a concussion and a tremendous headache.  And she has been told that she can’t play ball for another seven to ten days.  I am just grateful that the injury isn’t serious.  It could have been so much worse!  I have offered many prayers of thanks for my daughter’s safety and well-being.

The theme for the team this year is “We Believe, We Belong.”  I am the parent volunteer that creates locker fliers to go on the girls’ lockers each game day.  Instead of being frustrated with the latest turn of events, Huh and I decided to view things with a sense of humor.  The flier we created for Tuesday’s game said:






T-VILLE @ ALTA 3:30 p.m.

We Believe, We Belong…

…And Huh belongs in a bubble!

When Huh and I arrived at yesterday’s game…just to watch…from a safe distance…Huh was immediately greeted with comments and calls from players and parents alike:

“Where’s your bubble?”

“We need to wrap you in bubble wrap!”

“I can’t believe you got hit in the dug out!  Of course it would be Huh who got hit!”

“If there is ever a lightning storm, remind me to move very far away from you.”

“Nobody ever wants to give her a ride home, she’s got bad luck!”

“How do you get hurt in the dug out?!”

Today is day number two in the 7 – 10 days of sitting out.  My poor daughter.